>>> Street Photography eXchange #85 <<<

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,134
Like?
Re: i liked them in color better
In reply to xtoph, 10 months ago

xtoph wrote:

as i mentioned previously, some of these which you posted before reminded me of other shots which were posted here of the henley regatta, and now i see that apparently that's because they were both shot by the same person? though i am not sure why you need two log-ins.

one of the things i thought was interesting about these shots as previously posted was the color. i don't see what you gain by converting to bw. (you lose some of the sense of sun-drenched outdoors, i think. and the color, of course, which tended to emphasize separation from the blue sky.)

particularly when posted all together like this, the perspective of shooting from waist-height is not, i think, doing you any favors. it ends up looking like you are trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to sneak shots of people, and it is unclear why you would need to. combined with repeatedly re-posting the same shots, it seems like you are finding it difficult to assert yourself and take photos in public in an open, relaxed way. of course i could have this completely wrong; but that is what it looks like, and the fact that it appears that way in your photos is why it is an issue. it makes the circumstances of the exposures more important than the content of them.

regardless, the way out is probably to take more photos, either more in exactly this same style such that the sustained, consistent approach becomes artistically significant itself, or moving past this style, so that practice can make you more comfortable in a different way of working.

looking forward to seeing some new work, either way.

Yes I shoot from the waist at times, though not to be sneaky, I either fancy the lower angle, as from a child's position of view, or I feel the need to engage with whom I`m shooting, more often than not its simply so I can engage without the camera getting in the way for face to face contact.

I`ve recently rebuilt my PC and have many more images, all I need to sort out now is finding a way to attach old IED hard drives so I can get at all the files.

On occasions I even shoot with the camera held aloft for a birds eye view, again there is nothing sneaky about it, I`ll smile and wave at the same time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
drumNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow