Need For Articulating LCD On 6D MKII

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Mike K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,495Gear list
Like?
Re: Solution for Articulating LCD on 6D
In reply to 24Peter, 7 months ago

24Peter wrote:

85% of my landscape photos (www.peteralessandriaphotography.com) are taken with the camera within 1-2 feet of the ground - and articulating screen would be great for that...

I do product photography for a living (www.greatproductshots.com) . I am almost always using LiveView to focus and compose my images. About 1/2 the time, the camera is positioned in such a way (e.g., directly overhead) that I can't easily see the back LCD. The swivel screen on my 60D is a lifesaver...

I also use the camera close to the ground for TSE shots, which is my most often used lens type. Often with the tripod over water, so laying down to see the LCD is not an option.

My solution is to use an external monitor. Here is my write up

http://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

the 6" monitor is no longer available, replaced by the 7" at the same price point.  However there are mow several competing brands of HD level monitors: ie Ikan, Marshall and others.  Non HD monitors and cordless (WIFI) solutions have MUCH less resolution as to be useless for MF, but ok for composition.

When set up properly in magnified Live View 1:1 the resolution is improved, and can be seen at at arms length.  For those of us that often use Live View this is a very real increase in capability.

My only caution is that the mini HDMI port on the side of the camera and the mini HDMI connector cord/plug can be somewhat fragile.  Careful with this connection.

Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow