MFT 25mm f/1.4 fails to blur background like Full Frame 50mm lens @ f/2.8

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ido S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?
Look at the shutter speeds
In reply to Alex Notpro, 8 months ago

This may not be relevant to the subject matter, but I'll type and publish it anyway.

To my eyes, the blur is similar enough. It's not so different. But I noticed something really cool. With the Nikon D700, you used ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/80 sec., at f2.8. With the Olympus OM-D E-M1, you used ISO 200 (base ISO, if I'm not mistaken), and a shutter speed of 1/20 sec. at f1.4.

Sometimes, 50mm at f1.4 gives a depth of field that's too shallow for a lot of uses. Using that aperture value on a 25mm lens, gives more depth of field, yet on a µ4/3 camera, it gives a very similar -- if not identical -- field of view. Yet it still is f1.4 in light gathering (though T-stops vary between one lens to another), letting you use a lower ISO for better image quality, and the OM-D's 5-axis in-body image stabilization lets you use very slow shutter speeds, so even if the light drops, you can shoot at base ISO with the aperture set to f1.4, and get a sharp photo with the exposure time close to a full second!

That's one of the advantages of µ4/3 to me: more depth of field for the same field of view and aperture. I don't shoot a lot of portraits (if at all), focusing (pun-intended) more on landscape imagery. And being able to shoot at 12mm, while not including too much in the frame, is very nice. It lets me fight diffraction, and sometimes even allows me to leave my trusty Manfrotto at home.

Ido S's gear list:Ido S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow