dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,678Gear list
Like?
Re: looks like a winner to me.
In reply to bluevellet, 9 months ago

bluevellet wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

bluevellet wrote:

What I'm getting from Wong and other early reviews is that the Zuiko 25mm f1.8 is better than the Zuiko 17mm f1.8, in the sense that it compares more favorably to its closest rival (Lumix 25mm f1.4 and Lumix 20mm f1.7 respectively).

So the Zuiko 25mm is cheaper, smaller, more versatile lens than the classic Lumix 25mm with very similar IQ.

What's wrong with the 17mm f/1.8? I've seen some amazing pictures from that lens.

As I said, when compared to 20mm, the 17mm is not that impressive. That's purely about IQ here. Pixel-peeping and such. That's what initially disappointed people here, not that pretty photos couldn't be taken with it.

Obviously, the 17mm smokes the 20mm in AF (The Pana is just awful) and for those who want a better MF feel (pull-up focus ring).

I had read the criticisms of the 17mm and thought it wasn't a lens worth looking at, then I found this.

http://buchangrant.com/blog/?p=1979

To my eyes, the image quality coming out of it is every bit as good as the like of the Panny 25 f/1.4 and the Oly 45 f/1.8.  Granted, these weren't full sized shots, but the images were very nice to look at -- both the subject matter, the photographer's work, and the characteristics of the lens.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow