fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,408Gear list
Like?
Re: Fair Wages Protest, Toronto
In reply to jeff hladun, 10 months ago

jeff hladun wrote:

M7, 28mm, 580Ex, TriX, Rodinal

Jeff, It may be that you took this shot for the geometry within the frame, and I have no idea about, or, officially, interest in your political feelings about this demonstration.

But it is a brilliant document, ironic, insightful, hilarious even.

My parents were Trotskyites during the Depression.   They met because my mom was the only female in the NYC cell who could afford the bus fare to go to Detroit to liaise with my dad.   Can you imagine a group of mostly Jews (I'm morally certain) in NYC not being able to afford bus fare?   Times were hard.   Their efforts to provoke mass revolution in the US did not, as it turned out, succeed.

Going back to the French revolution there have been artistic conventions for showing protests and demonstrations.   They never look up like this to privilege the context of the demonstration.   They like to show what seems (whether it is or not) a surging mass of angry people, even if they have to arrange the shot and have the emotion staged for the camera.

Well, I think I've explained enough to show why I find this shot brilliant and hilarious.   A demonstration is a public political performance, just as a coronation is.   You've followed the lead of HCB in showing the reaction of the crowd.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
drumNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow