Making the best of SEL 16-50 Wide Angle Distortion

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
LBJ2
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
Re: jpeg version with in camera lens corrections applied
In reply to joe6pack, 8 months ago

joe6pack wrote:

Thanks. I think both image looks great to me (the JPEG would look better with the color edit, but I believe is more true to life). But I believe the uncorrected image does better in terms retaining the orientation. In this case, the trees all pointing straight up. Another advantage of using the uncorrected image is you actually get a 14-15mm focal out of the 16mm.

BTW, did you apply CA and vignetting correction? What software did you used? It bothers me that Sony's IDC does not allow me to turn off distortion correction.

Hello: Thanks! I like both shots too--just preferred the dramatic effect of the uncorrected raw shot with Nik HDR applied. Normally I use the PTLens ( very inexpensive ) to correct for CA and Vignetting for this lens' Raw shots. For the jpeg posted I used in-camera lens corrections and no other editing but to your point could have easily popped the color and/or sharpened up.

My desktop PP software includes Mac Aperture with PTLens plug-in and Google Nik Collection.

LBJ2's gear list:LBJ2's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow