DX/FX sharpness: is there a real difference? (and other DX-FX questions)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319
Like?
Re: DX/FX sharpness: is there a real difference? (and other DX-FX questions)
In reply to ishtar74, 7 months ago

There is not a difference in sharpness if you are using the same lenses. There will be cleaner edges with the use of a FX lens on a DX camera but that is beside the point.

FX lenses at the pro end will provide the best possible optics but at a price in money, size, and weight. Compare the DX Nikon 10-24mm lens to the FX Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 lens.

My DX D7100 provides better autofocus performance than my FX D800e in every situation. I was not expecting this but when the D800e is challenged I will put the lens on the D7100 and keep on shooting.

There are less expensive lens options with the DX cameras. A 85mm f1.8G lens on a FX camera is a lot less expensive than the 58mm f1.4 lens on a DX camera to get the same picture angle. On the flip side a FX 70-200mm f2.8 performs much like a 105-300mm f2.8 lens on a DX camera.

I doubt that one person in 100 could stand at a normal viewing distance from two 20x30 prints made using files created using the same lens on a D610 and a D7100 and say which was from each camera. They would be guessing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow