Nikon D800E or Canon 5d Mark 3 ?!

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,329
Like?
Re: Nikon D800E or Canon 5d Mark 3 ?!
In reply to Altin, 8 months ago

The Canon 5D Mark III is often not bought by Canon only shooters so it is by no means a camera without its own set of limitations. It is foolish when going to pro level gear to not look at the entire photo system provided by Canon and Nikon. Comparing an inexpensive D5200 kit to a Rebel kit is one thing but for people wanting to get seriously into photography more aspects should be considered.

Canon lenses like the 16-35mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8 are inferior to the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8 and do not provide nearly the level of autofocus consistency on Canon cameras. There are Canon shooters using adapters to mount the Nikon 14-24mm lens on there cameras and shoot in manual mode. You will not find the reverse happening.

Canon has a better tilt shift lens lineup for architectural photography.

Nikon has more options, including flash, for macro photography.

Having shot weddings with Canon pro cameras and flash as well as with Nikon gear I can say that the Nikon system outperforms that of the Canon by a significant margin. If I was shooting birthday parties or soccer games it would not matter.

Nikon's iTTL system with the cameras with the Commander flash is simpler and cheaper than the Canon setup for off camera flash. For general travel photography I take a camera with the internal commander flash and a SB800 and that is all that is needed to shoot anything.

Canon has lighter super telephoto lenses but you will pay up to a 50% premium over the heavier Nikon lenses. Not sure how many photographers want to pay $11,300 for the Canon 200-400mm f4 lens instead of $6749 for the Nikon 200-400mm f4 VR II  lens. For the difference one could add a D4 camera to the kit. Even worse the Canon lens has a 1-year warranty in the USA while Nikon provides 5 years.

I have been a member of both Nikon and Canon services programs for pro shooters and the Nikon program actually does  what it claims which was not my experience with Canon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow