Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050Gear list
Like?
Re: Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed
In reply to dgrogers, 8 months ago

Few observations…

1. The Panasonic rendering seems cooler while the Olympus is warmer.

2. Was surprised of the size difference. PL25mm seems all-round chunkier.

3. No mention of build-quality, but since the Olympus 25mm is similar build-quality to the 45mm f1.8 (cheaper and lighter), the build-quality of the PL25mm is of a higher-grade.

4. No surprise that the CA control is better on the Olympus than the Panasonic. I think this is one of the greatest weakness of this lens.

5. Although it looks like the Olympus has the slight-edge when it comes to sharpness, I am not 100% convinced from the images taken. Generally, in my experience, Panasonic’s lenses tend to be very sharp centre-frame compared to Olympus. My PL25mm is the sharpest lens in my collection (comparing with my 17mm, 20mm, 45mm). Perhaps it is due to lens sample variations. It would have been worthwhile to have more centre-frame comparisons at various apertures of both lenses. Corners look better on the Olympus. Difficult to know what the Olympus body is correcting/enhancing with the an ‘optimised’ Olympus lens attached compared to a ‘non-optimised’ Panasonic one, though. Some shots seem to have a contrast-boost with the Olympus lens, so not sure if this is due to in-camera adjustments.

Which leads me to an unfortunate philosophy which I am slowly moving towards as a m43 user since its beginning (if I want optimal image quality and functionality):

Olympus lenses on Olympus bodies; Panasonic lenses on Panasonic bodies.

-- hide signature --
 TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow