1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip
In reply to ormdig, 6 months ago

ormdig wrote:

This photo and the other 58mms in your gallery exhibit the qualities I am talking about, Patrick, thank you,

-- hide signature --

Pete

Pete I really appreciate your compliment. I try an put up images to let people see real world examples, sometimes you take your lumps for it. Thank you as well Bajerunner.

For me I was completely blown away by some photographer's impressions and photos with the lens. Namely Nasim's and Sam Hurd's. Those images are simply out of this world, beautiful, moving and inspirational all rolled up.

At least a couple of people and I believe- though I may be wrong, dpreview's review said- "Of course this lens is going to test bad by virtue of intended design." That's all I needed to hear.

I am also not a fan of sharpness for sharpness' sake which is propounded in the forums. I embrace the art side of it and that is why I find myself- with cameras too- looking to the impressions of pros that I respect and that I know shoot a lot.

I believe mechanical reviewers have their place, but in my opinion they are increasingly attempting to compete with one another for clicks and referrals and this is influencing their spin.

It is an amazing lens.

(As an aside I am floored that reviewers of a portrait lens in Poland, which has more beautiful women per capita than anywhere else in the world, took photos of mailboxes and store fronts.)

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow