A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?
In reply to craig66, 8 months ago

craig66 wrote:

Can anyone tell to us which is which from the lenses above (courtesy of enemj!!):

f5.6

They have every appearance of not being focused at the same distance. The foreground grass in one is much sharper than the other the other way round for the far brick wall. This is the problem with these sort of comparisons - they are not properly controlled. It takes effort and discipline and time to do justice to whatever is being tested.

You right and I confess I had to take account this point when I compared. But honestly, that did not stop us to form our own opinion.

Because if you make tests yourself, is easy to understand that the overall difference between the two, don't justify this difference of score. This is the point imho.

DXO has some magic formulae to calculate the scores and p-MP. IMHO the value of DXO is looking at the measurements. If you look at the measurements, then the 35 DT @ f4 is easily better than the 18-135 @f4.5 and somewhat better at all apertures.

The 35mm G is no better than the 35 DT from f2 onwards and very soft wide open. In fact, the DT lens looks better towards the EDGES.

This is exactly what we expected from "G" lenses, anyway!

As far as I can see, though the method of calculation is opaque, in the the cases above the scores are justified. The primes deliver better sharpness than the zooms which is what you would expect and they are much faster.

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow