Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR Fuji interview
In reply to wyldberi, 10 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Georg Ucksche wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

IMO, the success that we're seeing with some of the latest cameras like the Sony A7r, Olympus E-M1 and the X-T1 will force Canon and Nikon to respond. More than ever before these cameras are being bought not only as a supplement to DSLRs but as complete replacements.

Nice idea. But I am not sure how big the success will be really in the end. What camera do costumers (globally) buy more: A EOS 5dIII, 6d, 700d, a Nikon d610, Df, d7100, or an A7(r), X-T1, X-E2, etc...?

In Europe and the US, mirrorless have a market share of 10%.

That is very (!!!!) little, seen the number of manufacturers (Sony, Oly, Fuji, Panasonic) and compared to the fact the the rest (90%) is mainly Canon and Nikon.

I agree that Canon and Nikon show themselves clueless about how the future of cameras should be. They continue to offer a solution that is basically 50y ears old - an SLR. No sign of innovation since many years.

I hope that Fujis' efforts pay off in the sense that innovation - in the long run - will end up convincing the market more than stagnation.

Canon and NIkon realls offer little more than stand- still.

This is just not even close to true.

Have you used a D4 or D800e? These two cameras offer innovation beyond dreams from 10 years ago. The AF and IQ are stunning in "Very Low Light" and "Close to MF resolution". For people who know how to use them, they are close to perfect. So much so that they could be the last 35mm DSLRs anyone could need. Improvements have gotten incrementally smaller as they are reaching a limit.

The ONLY thing Fuji has going for it is size and weight. If Fuji X cameras were FF and had lenses the same size and weight of CaNikon they'd be out of business. Fuji knows this.

Don't get me wrong, the Fuji X cams are great and the X-T1 will be even better. Fuji glass is as good as any and better than most. But coming from a retro design and saying CaNikon have not innovated is absurd.

I've never used either camera you named; I can't tell you how close to perfect either is. I'm one of those who don't know how to use them. It's not because I'm stupid, it's because I don't have the experience of gradually getting to know what this and that feature is, and where and how to find the menu page/item that Nikon decided to stick that menu item on. And if I go out to take pictures, and have to sit there reading through the manual for 25 minutes to learn how to operate the camera, the picture I wanted to take is long gone. And in the long run, I don't have enough time left to devote 2 - 3 years of my life to learning how to operate all those fancy innovations Canon and Nikon came up with.

Fuji has done some innovation of its own. They actually envisioned a menu system that enables their Customers to actually find the menu items they're needing to access pretty quickly. They've got this thing called a "Q Menu" that pops up a display that makes it even quicker to locate many settings that get adjusted pretty frequently. And if that weren't enough, Fuji went so far as to put really nice knobs on the camera, and rings on the lenses that let someone like me quickly change the exposure settings to meet changing conditions. And do you know what, Fuji was smart enough to put these dials and rings right where old farts like me were accustomed to changing the same settings 40 years ago. Yes, Fuji innovated the return of the retro-style camera that achieved a pinnacle of ergonomic functionality before the first SLR's came to market. Thank heavens Fuji realized the buying public prefers not carrying around the larger, heavier, more costly 35mm format lenses. And with the wonderful lenses Fuji is producing, the IQ their cameras produce are virtually on par with the larger, more expensive cameras Canon and Nikon are making today, for all practical purposes.

Canon and Nikon may have brought the DSLR's to the pinnacle of its development, but as Uncle Bob use to say, "The times are a-changing." Technology advances, product development continues at a rapid pace, and Canon and Nikon are left trying to make further, incrementally smaller improvements, defending their conservative approach to the art of capturing the images that fill our lives.

Well said.

Missing out on creative possibilities, but you should be very happy with what Fuji is doing.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow