Contributing MemberPosts: 966
Like?
Re: Interesting read by Thom Hogan
In reply to GaryW, 8 months ago

GaryW wrote:

captura wrote:

Gary,

Yes that's the one.

" the term "advanced electronic-optical hybridization" leaps out at me from this Sony review of the Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA lens. This seems to be the Sony term for "Fast-Hybrid AF."

http://store.sony.com/sonnar-t-fe-55mm-f1.8-za-zid27-SEL55F18Z/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-NEX-Lenses#BVRRWidgetID'

Where does it say that the fast-hybrid AF works on,say, the Nex-6?

The point is, if Sony is only going to produce FE lenses going forward, it'd be nice to be able to use them effectively on existing cameras. Maybe that would be a problem with APS-C lenses too? If it requires a FW update for every new lens, that's a pain, and Sony is less likely to do that for older cameras. It's a weakness in the e-mount.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

It is not plausible to think that FE lenses won't work with PDAF AF on APS-C bodies. My APS-C 35mm f/1.8 for instance works fine with PDAF with my A7.

I think it is a big part of Sony's strategy that FE lenses must be attractive on APS-C bodies as well.

For example both 35mm and 55mm FE lenses have a great FOV on APS-C bodies. The FE 70-200mm is great on APS-C as well. Only ultra wide and standard FE zooms are probably not a great idea on APS-C bodies, but here we are talking about 2-3 lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow