Panny 25mm 1.4 vs Olympus 25mm 1.8 Reviewed

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
MatLD
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
Reviewed on Olympus body...
In reply to dgrogers, 10 months ago

By an olympus rep.

Robin Wong makes it quite clear that he cannot be really objective on his reviews so such a comparison only makes sense for those who are aware of his bias.

The main thing here is that there are 3 domains where the oly lens appears superior and where the camera could make the difference:

-CA (I believe there is no CA corrections at all for panasonic lenses on the em1)

-corner sharpness (the em1 has profiles of the lenses and applies selective sharpness filters). This point has NOT been mentioned by Robin Wong.

-brightness (1/3 of a stop is quite a subtle thing in an uncontrolled environment and could be camera related as well )

The build quality is also to take into account : my 45 f1.8 is definately NOT on the level of my PL25 in this regard.

Now the new oly appears to be quite good, and looks like the better choice on an olympus body.

Time will tell, but I find it a pity that panasonic and olympus compete directly on the lenses. It seems that more and more, the m4/3 is loosing its advantage of having two manufacturers.

What's the point of sharing the mount if manufacturers are doing everything to prevent you from buying the competitor's lenses ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow