A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,525Gear list
Like?
Re: A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, 10 months ago

DXO's lens test have always thrown up some weird anomalies that appear to fly in the face of owner experiences of the same lens+camera combos. Who knows why? We can only speculate. I do wonder if they test multiple copies of each lens - I'm guessing they don't. There can be a lot of sample variation, even with expensive G lenses (sadly). One thing that doesn't surprise me - Tamrons sometimes out-resolving Sony G lenses - I have seen that in action myself with the 70-200s - Sony may have nailed SSM AF but at the long end the Tamron 70-200 can be sharper than the Sony G. If the new Tamron long zoom is as sharp or sharper than the 70-400G then they will have pulled off a miracle - it's going to be interesting.

Anyway, maybe DXO should get back to doing what they do best, which in my mind is making a very good raw processor, DXO Optics Pro.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony RX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow