A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,279Gear list
Like?
Re: A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, 5 months ago

DXO's lens test have always thrown up some weird anomalies that appear to fly in the face of owner experiences of the same lens+camera combos. Who knows why? We can only speculate. I do wonder if they test multiple copies of each lens - I'm guessing they don't. There can be a lot of sample variation, even with expensive G lenses (sadly). One thing that doesn't surprise me - Tamrons sometimes out-resolving Sony G lenses - I have seen that in action myself with the 70-200s - Sony may have nailed SSM AF but at the long end the Tamron 70-200 can be sharper than the Sony G. If the new Tamron long zoom is as sharp or sharper than the 70-400G then they will have pulled off a miracle - it's going to be interesting.

Anyway, maybe DXO should get back to doing what they do best, which in my mind is making a very good raw processor, DXO Optics Pro.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow