Canon PowerShot G1 X, Minimum Focus Distance, and Food Photography?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,062
Like?
Canon PowerShot G1 X, Minimum Focus Distance, and Food Photography?
7 months ago

Is anyone here using the G1 X for food photography? I'm planning to use the G1 X to snap photos for my journal and blog. My biggest concern is the awful minimum focus distance. I'm sort of confused with the data from Dpreview's review of the G1 X.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x/7

What's the difference between focus range (normal) and focus range (macro)? The G1 X doesn't even have a macro mode, but I'm assuming that they're referring to the close focus mode? If so, is this something that I activate? If so, what are the pros and cons with normal and macro mode for the G1 X?

I'm also having a hard time understanding some of the terms that were used. Let's say I'm using 50mm (35 mm equivalent) on the G1 X. The focus range (macro) is 30cm to 1.5m. Most of the time I'll be using my table top tripod with an extended column that will raise the camera to about 25-30cm from the table. Does that mean that the camera lens will need to be at least 30cm from the subject (say a bowl chicken noodle soup) in order for the camera to autofocus? If that's the case, what does the 1.5m refer to? What about at 50mm the focus range (normal) is 1.1m to infinity? What does that mean?

I would prefer to shoot with an aperture from f/5.6 to f/8 so that would limit me to a maximum focal length of 110mm (35mm equivalent). Can someone here please provide some samples of food images taken from 28-110mm at f/5.6 to f/8? I am trying to get an idea of how things will look.

Thank you!

Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow