1.4 / 58 hast just been tested on Lenstip

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Of course many do Real World vs Tests
In reply to Stacey_K, 10 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

(1)They have totally swung and missed testing several well regarded lenses in the past, they have zero credibility with me.....

(2 There are plenty of very sharp lenses I wouldn't own on a bet. It's why testing like they and a couple of the other "ultra techy" sites do is almost pointless to a photographer.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

(1) Such as...?

(2) I can agree with this for sure. The thing is, I suspect that the Lenstip result is due to one of two things (or both)

- sample variation

- their test method does not take into account, that the lens is designed to give maximum effect for portraits /out of focus, 3 D effect. The specific output may not be everyone's cup of tea.

So, the progressive corner border and corner sharrness test, as per charts looks so bad on the chart, MAY actually be due to the design.

Now, if this is so, why do some lenses with excellent 3D ness and bokeh etc, fare better in the border/ corner sharpness test?

Such as the Zeiss Otus :

http://www.lenstip.com/390.4-Lens_review-Carl_Zeiss_Otus_55_mm_f_1.4_ZE_ZF.2_Image_resolution.html

Real world by 'whomever' (amateurs or pros irrelevant).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/sets/72157635236491881/

The Zeiss clearly shows excellent real world use, 3 Dness, etc, and still cleans up on the Lenstip Test.

BUT, we can see that the Zeiss at maximum aperture, also shows 'test weakness' in the borders on full frame. Again, may confirm that testing such lenses AT THE 1.4 aperture, is missing the point, if we accept that this is design specific. But the result is clearly much better than the Nikon AT ALL apertures.

Which is why I again wonder about sample variation with the Nikon (as surely we might expect that on stopping down the Nikon would would improve).

But, some may say that comparing a USD 1,800 lens to a USD 4,000 lens is unfair.

But, it is just a comparison,  and in reality, there is nothing wrong with analysing, indeed analysis is what makes us understand more.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow