A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: A77: why long lenses seem to be so out resolved?
In reply to VirtualMirage, 7 months ago

VirtualMirage wrote:

DxO typically only tests with the RAW data. Here is a quote from their site on lens testing:

• All lens scores pertain only to RAW imaging performance. They do not take into account other criteria such as image processing efficiency, mechanical reliability (autofocus, robustness), value for money, weight, etc.

Link for reference:

http://www.dxomark.com/About/Lens-scores

-- hide signature --

Paul

DxO, but NOT dPr.

Anyway, I would love to agree with your points, but your statements about the fact that some sensor "outresolve lens/es" is contentious matter to a conclusion by Allan Olesen arguments >>>

"Moiré, lenses definition VS resolution power" >>>

I reserve my position on that, but it sounds good to me.

In the other hand, I think we can compare lenses with Nikon mount yet, every time is a Sony sensor with the same pixel count (and of course with the same sensor generation)! And between A77 vs D7100 it seems to be we can extrapolate (and with the Nex 7 as well)? Because now with today 24MP/APS-C sensors, the AA filter effect, is progressively confused with the s/n ratio. And if the Nikon one resolve 3000LPH when the A77 resolve 3400LPH, I assume that the AA filter of the Sony is not noticeable, if it's not present.

Anyway, it does not reflect a tangible explanation of tests from the same camera (A65): why the Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM have the same score >>> of the Sony 35mm F1.4 Gwhereas in reality, there is no noticeable diffrence with the Sony DT 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM at 35 mm. And when the kit-lens itself DT 18-55mm is rated higher than the last one!

Sony 35mm F1.4 G 13 p-MP (DxO T score: 21)

Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM 13 p-MP (DxO T score: 21)

Sony DT 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM 7 p-MP (DxO T score: 12)

Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM 9 p-MP (DxO T score: 11)

Can anyone tell to us which is which from the lenses above (courtesy of enemj!!):

f5.6

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow