MFT 25mm f/1.4 fails to blur background like Full Frame 50mm lens @ f/2.8

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Willing
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Re: MFT 25mm f/1.4 fails to blur background like Full Frame 50mm lens @ f/2.8
In reply to Alex Notpro, 8 months ago

Looks like the subject 'flash unit' is not really in focus in image1 and image3 and image1 could have a little back focus problem and could have made less background blur than full frame at f2.8!!

Alex Notpro wrote:

I've been wanting to get rid of redundant photo gear, so today I decided to do a quick test to see if there was really that much difference between FF and mFT in the 50mm FOV. I was expecting to find equivalent results at f/2.8 on FF versus f/1.4 on mFT. However, that's not what I found.

I'm slightly baffled by this, as "equivalence" theory says these two photos should result in the same DOF and background blur. However, the full-frame 50mm shot at f/2.8 clearly out-blurs the background versus the Micro Four Thirds 25mm lens shot at f/1.4.

Just for kicks I also attached the shot with the full-frame lens at f/1.4, which I expected to look different from mFT @ f/1.4, but wanted to see just how different it would be.

Micro Four Thirds 25mm @ f/1.4

Full Frame 50mm @ f/2.8

Full Frame 50mm @ f/1.4

Does anybody have a rational explanation for the difference in background blur between the MFT/25/1.4 and the FF/50/2.8 shots?

Willing's gear list:Willing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow