Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,626Gear list
Like?
Re: Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji
In reply to Peter Jonas, 7 months ago

Care to be specific?

AF systems should be similar and both adequate but D610 is probably overall faster - reviews to tell.

As I recall D610 has 39 points and most of those are centred in the middle part of the scene - not ideal. XT1 has more focus points.

XT1 is 8 fps  D610 is less (not exactly sure but probably around 4 or 5)

IQ would be similar. Form much better on the XT1. Lenses better on the XT1, cost better on the XT1, EVF versus OVF - personal choice but for those who like EVF this is a plus, manual focusing ability - way better on XT1 - Nikons' green dot is not good enough,

White balance - Fuji is a lot better, Jpeg and colour - XT1 a lot better, Nikon has a slight green cast, sharpness - I would lean slightly to XT1 as no AA but D610 are also very nice.

Tilt screen, panorama function, all XT1

high speed SD card compatible - XT1

external dials and knobs XT1.

Live view focusing - much better on XT1. A common complaint against D800 and presumably D610

No question mark over QC like Nikon has with left side AF alignments, dust/oil on sensor although I believe that issue seems resolved - (we hope).

Fuji is a way better and customer caring company than Nikon who handled the D600 oil/dust debacle appalling badly.

Fuji will offer regular firmware updates, Nikon only issues mostly bug fixes and no new functionality via firmware.

D610 comes with the full confidence knowing that Nikon would never put out a defective camera and continue to sell it for a long time after they find out its defective and fob off their customers who complain and send them a replacement that is just as bad several times (literally many posts complaining of exactly that with D600). Nikon customer care is by numerous numerous posts reported by their own customers to be very poor at times.

Cost is less with XT1.

D610 is full frame and of course that is the big one and the source of endless debates on this forum but I personally agree full frame is superior if only for the wider FOV.

D610 would have slightly better low light noise at high ISO - but not by much XT1 (any X series) has superb high ISO low noise.

Nikon lenses are crippled - no aperture ring, most are made of plastic these days - their best and sharpest lens the 85 F1.8g has really bad CA. Fuji lenses have way more character, are faster on average (many are F1.4, F2.4 or F2.8). Fuji zooms have OIS Nikon only puts that on very few lenses. Fuji lenses are cheaper with better quality and faster for the same focal length. In many cases the comparable Nikon lens is several times as much for example 35mm F1.4 or any Nikon that is F1.4 tends to be a $2000 lens.

Nikon has better flash and all round accessories.

Nikon does not offer a decent mirrorless yet (APSc).

D610 looks like every other black melted plastic looking lump - no character or appeal. XT1 is cool and full of character and unique. The DF that Nikon tried to make but fell short of.

XT1 has wifi and NFC - D610 has neither.

XT1 has full magnesium cast body I doubt D610 has.

Not 100% sure if D610 is weather sealed or not. I think its not and its the D800e and D4 that is. XT1 is weather sealed.

XT1 ha better LCD by a considerable margin. Nikon LCD is B grade and has a colour cast.

XT1 can mount any lens around using adapters - Nikon D610 cannot, only Nikon or lenses with Nikon compatible mounts like Zeiss.

XT1 has AF that actually works in video with manual exposure controls on video. D610 does not. Video on the D610 based on D800e would be rather poor overall. XT1 would be better in terms of AF but still not a strong point of Fuji X, more a Panasonic, Sony, Canon strength.

Shall I go on?

Hence my post - I think it is indeed a serious competitor to D610 and I would not be surprised to see others consider it that way as well.

I had a D800e for a year and a half and loved it so I am not a Nikon hater at all. The XT1 is the current ultimate mirrorless high end camera that would appear to have finally handled the AF issue to an acceptable level for most users and matches many DSLRs (not all).

So it probably boils down to how many Nikon lenses you have (of course you can use all those lenses on an XT1 with a nice adapter just manual focus).

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NawNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow