With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to Chad Hardy, 10 months ago

Chad Hardy wrote:

I am not interested in how fast it focuses, but how well it locks onto the subject and stays with it. 500 PDAF points are useless if it can't stay on the same subject.

I just tried one at CP+. I enabled face detection, and locked focus on the face of someone walking towards me. I placed the face in the top left corner of the frame.

Then I slewed the camera as fast as I could from left to right, and immediately took a shot with the face in the top right corner of the frame.

I wasn't playing fair, but nonetheless the camera tracked the face across the frame, and took the shot (with the green rectangle still around the face which had turned into profile) the same instant I pressed the shutter. The face was in focus.

The AF system was clearly faster, and more surefooted than the NEX's and A7(r), and seems to be capable of tracking moving subjects. How it really performs in a wide variety of conditions remains to be seen, but it does look like it's the real deal.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow