Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?
Re: Convince me to jump from Nikon to Fuji
In reply to Steve9, 9 months ago

I'm not going to try to convince you, since I don't even know your photography style and subject matter, but I can relate my own experience. I sold my D800 and about 6 lenses and speedlights and picked up the Fuji X-E1 nearly a year ago.

My primary interest in photography is for travel and landscape, and since I do travel quite frequently, I found I was leaving the D800 and heavy 14-24 or others and the big Gitzo 3 series tripod at home too often.

So the main reason for me to switch was to trade to a lighter and smaller system, and I have no regrets. I fit my X-E2 and a couple of lenses in a small Domke bag, which nests perfectly inside my Thinktank Urban Disguise laptop bag, and my lighter Benro tripod stows perfectly inside my carry-on suitcase. So if I have travel where I might get some down time to shoot, I don't hesitate to pack the kit because it's so easy.

In terms of quality, yes the 36 MP D800 was a beast, and at times I do miss having all that resolution. But for my final output, which is mostly on-line portfolios or small prints you would never know the difference. In terms of AF, I find the X cameras actually focus more accurately than my D800 did, but not as quickly. Again, for my style of shooting, which includes MF, no issues for me.

I do miss the weather sealing, but the X-T1 will fix that, assuming I decide to make that upgrade at some point.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NawNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow