Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
markymark101
Contributing MemberPosts: 980Gear list
Like?
Help evaluate my oly 12mm f2
6 months ago

I've never been totally happy my Oly 12mm. I'll fully admit I'm not a professional and probably my pics are best described as amateur snapshots, but I keep thinking there's something not quite right with this lens.

I hike and take a lot of landscapes. In my DSLR days I would normally shoot f8 which allowed plenty of DOF. I figure with m43, f5.6 should have plenty of DOF for the entire image to be sharp. But with the 12mm, I see more softness than I'd expect with such a premium lens. I also have the 9-18mm, and at f5.6 the DOF is deeper and the image is sharper corner to corner than the 12mm.

I really want to like this lens. I like the color, and the images have good pop. The lens is super sharp in the center and when shooting street and targets at less than infinity, the lens performs well. It's landscapes where I'm not seeing what I expect.

Looking through my images, most landscapes were shot a f5.6, but I stumbled across a couple at f8, that are much better. I guess my questions: is my lens defective; is F8 the optimal setting for what I'm shooting; is there user error; or should I quit pixel peeping.

Okay, I know the below is not a scientific test of shooting the same image on a tripod in controlled lighting, The first three images were shot at 5.6 or 6.3; not bad until you start looking at the corners. The last two images are at f8, and the result is more of what I'd expect to see.

All images were shot raw and process in LR. All were sharpened using: Amount 60; Radius 0.8; Detail 40; Masking 50.

When the lens was still under warranty, I had it shipped back to Olympus for evaluation, and they said the lens was within specifications.

Okay, I'll stand back and await the abuse

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow