The Sunday BIRD Volume 9 Issue 34 February 16, 2014

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,824Gear list
Like?
Australian Raptors
In reply to Richard Pavek, 5 months ago

I got away for a few days during the week and spent some time on the SE coast 200Km south of Sydney. The weather (specifically the light) was just about the worst I've experienced as a bird shooter. The sky was a uniform bright grey all day long, for 4 straight days. No shadows, no contrast just dazzling bright with very light misty rain. Every shot seemed to be back-lit and I struggled with exposure. Even my best lenses, - Zuiko and Canon 300mm /2.8 - seemed to have CA, and low contrast

I did find some nice birds though, and after a lot of PP I managed some presentable pics.
All hand-held with 5D3, EF300mm/2.8 x2 , raw PP in Lightroom 5.3, exported as jpg 160op wide
Peter

Nankeen Kestrel
I found this little bird resting up on a power pole on a quiet country road

1/4000 sec,  f/6.3, ISO 800  cropped to about 5% of the original

A juvenile White-bellied Sea Eagle.
This bird passed overhead while I was out on a mud flat shooting some waders and pelicans.
The adults are more 'regal' looking with dark grey on top and white underneath
1/3200 sec  f/5.6  ISO3200, cropped to about 4%

And another juvenile - a Peregrine Falcon.
We could hear the birds squawking high in the forested hill across the lake.
After climbing up through the thick undergrowth I sat and waited in the forest, sure enough the bird was curious enough to come and check me out - from a distance and high vantage of course.
1/800 sec f/5.6 ISO800, cropped to about 7%

1/1000 sec f/5.6 ISO1600, cropped to about 5%

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow