Looking for a way to attach video camera to dSLR for sporting events (swim)

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rlyons
Regular MemberPosts: 281Gear list
Like?
Looking for a way to attach video camera to dSLR for sporting events (swim)
10 months ago

So, my wife doesn't like to work one of the cameras while I work the other although we want both video and stills of my sons swim meets.  I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to attach my video camera (Sony 550v) to my sSLR (D7000).  The idea is that I'd set the video zoom and start it going then point with the D7000 and take pics.  Since we usually sit in crowded bleachers the "contraption" needs to be small.

My first idea was to mount the video camera upside-down (I'll flip the video in post) on the bottom of the SLR - tripod hole to tripod hole - but that won't work.  The video camera tripod hole is at the front and the D7000 is, well, at the back.  So perhaps a simple bar of sorts (5-6" long) that would attach to the SLR and extend to towards the front and attach the video camera (again, upside-down).

The other approach would be to have them side by side, but then I fear the video camera interfering with my ability to hold the camera lens and zoom.

Anyways, thought I'd throw this one to the pros and see if this has been conquered before.  I've googled and found some "pro" setups, some meant for surfing etc, but nothing in the "cheap and easy" range - yet.

Rob

-- hide signature --

D7000 + Sony CX550

rlyons's gear list:rlyons's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow