Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,649
Like?
Re: ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition
In reply to cainn24, 5 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

Ianperegian wrote:

Regarding the EVF, there seem to be conflicting opinions about its quality, but at least it would be, as you said, “better than nothing” in very bright light situations. I guess it would be best if people could try out the EVF for themselves before buying, to see if it is adequate for their needs.

It's gonna be the LF1 EVF furor all over again.

"This EVF sucks. In fact it's so bad, I'd rather compose with the LCD, and I hate composing with LCDs"

"I don't understand why so many people are saying that this EVF sucks. I think it's perfectly usable. I can tell whether people are smiling or not when looking through it, and it doesn't strain my eyes. What else does one need?"

etc etc

It's always fun...

And yeah, great comparison Ian. Quite informative.

Thanks. I think this quote from the recent (and so far, only) review of the ZS40/TZ60 by Photographyblog (here ) sums up the conflicting aspects of the EVF:

"Given the overall size of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60, the integrated EVF is understandably rather small at just 0.2-inch, making it rather tiring to use for longer periods of time. If you think of the EVF as something to use in bright sunlight when the rear screen is difficult to see, or when you want to add some extra stability to the camera when using the full extent of the 30x zoom by holding it at eye-level, then you won't be disappointed. If you're expecting to use it for 99% of your shooting, then you will be.

Still, the EVF adds relatively little bulk or weight to the overall design of the TZ60, it displays quite a lot of information, including the ability to playback images and change the camera settings, and it even comes with a diopter control for glasses wearers. So in our opinion it's well worth having, if only as a backup to the main screen."

So, to me that seems to mean: "Use it only when you need to".

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow