X-T1 - First test shots

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300Gear list
Like?
Re: CDAF speed?
In reply to David McGaughey, 8 months ago

David McGaughey wrote:

Awesome. Thanks. Some comments on FM have me wondering whether the CDAF speeds from all of the X cameras are roughly the same. Since the PDAF is only useful in the central portion and with decent light, it's important to know whether the CDAF is a step forward.

I've both X-E1 (now sold) and X-E2 for a couple of months and I can tell you that CDAF on X-E2 is much much faster than X-E1.  One can easily test this by selecting the AF box outside of the PDAF region.  Use a lens that doesn't have fast AF motor, such as XF35 or XF23.  I think CDAF is easily twice as fast on X-E2.  When people claim X-E2 is not much faster is when they use the 18-55 lens with the LM AF motor.  That lens can move in and out rather quickly and it is not that much faster when paired with the X-E2.

What would be interesting now is to compare CDAF speed between X-T1 and X-E2.  I wonder if X-T1 has an improved CDAF algorithm to make AF even faster.

Since X-E2 and X-T1 have the same sensor and processor, it is conceivable that X-E2's AF performance can be upgraded to the same level as X-T1.  Unless Fuji has improved the processing pipeline in hardware with faster processor/DRAM on X-T1 and didn't tell us about it.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E2 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow