Olympus 25mm 1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 for Olympus body (E-M5)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Acronator
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 25mm 1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 for Olympus body (E-M5)
In reply to El Chubasco, 10 months ago

El Chubasco wrote:

Acronator wrote:

Robin Wong is about to release a comparison review. Stayed tuned to his blog. He is excellent and I am sure he will answer your questions.

Am really looking forward to it.

Actually the review is out

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-lens-review.html

Enjoy!

Great review. Even assuming a small bias for Oly I think he did an excellent job and covered most of the differences I was concerned about. What I gather...

1. AF Speed. Both have very fast AF but is the Oly 25mm lens even a tad bit faster on AF with an Olympus body?

There is no noticeable difference in AF speed between the two. However there may be occasions however rare when the Pana may miss focus narrowly on Oly bodies.

2. How useful have you found the extra stop of the Panasonic lens? Please do explain.

Definitely useful and Pana does give a narrower DOF without doubt (I infer this from the photos rather than Robin's taste/opinion.)

3. Both are very sharp lenses. Which is sharper?

No difference at center. Small advantage to Oly in the extreme corners wide open.

4. Do the distortion corrections made by a Olympus body with the Oly 25mm 1.8 make for an advantage?

Not enough information. I always import my photos in LR using a preset which has Chromatic Aberration correction included so that is a lesser concern. I would like to know if there is an advantage on other corrections such as perspective, distortion, vignetting etc. I guess I will have to wait for a more scientific review like the ones SLR gear does.

I absolutely love everything I have seen of the Panasonic and the differences are extremely small but with two Oly bodies I am gravitating towards the Oly 25mm for now.

Acronator's gear list:Acronator's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow