Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Conor OBrien
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Re: 20mm f1.7 for Night-time Street Photography
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, 5 months ago

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Conor OBrien wrote:

I am planning on purchasing the 20mm f/1.7 prime lens for my Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5.

I am wondering will I encounter any problems with this lens at night time if I want to photograph cars and people as sharp images with no blur. If so, are there any other recommended lens that are more suited for this or will I be successful with the 20mm?

Shooting moving objects at nighttime is a challenge with any lens. You have to deal with three limits: ISO, aperture, and how fast the objects moves in the frame.

In a later post, you've said that your max ISO will be 1600.

Only because I have read that when you go over IS0 1600 with the G5, then noise starts to become visible. If I needed that extra stop of faster shutter speed I suppose I could move the ISO up to 3200

If your lens would have a wide max aperture (like a Voigtlänger lens at F/0.95), you'll have the best shutter speed. However, the DOF will be razor thin if the subject is relatively near.

So the max aperture of the Lumix 20mm (or the M.Zuiko 17mm) is probably the best compromise between DOF and shutter speed. But don't expect fast moving objects to be sharp.

Nankin Street, Shanghai

Canada Pavillon, Expo 2010 (Shanghai)

Old Montréal

Great photographs by the way!

-- hide signature --
 Conor OBrien's gear list:Conor OBrien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow