Oly 12-50 vs 12-40 - expecting too much?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
mchnz
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly 12-50 vs 12-40 - expecting too much?
In reply to tamras29, 9 months ago

tamras29 wrote:

I do really like my 12-50 despite it's faults, so at an Olympus open day this morning, I was looking forward to taking the 12-40 f2.8 out for a spin on my EM5 with the offer of £100 off usual price this weekend only.

Just been going through the results, and apart from F2.8 all the way through which of course is a great advantage when necessary, and lovely pumpy manual focus ring, I really was it's expecting it's IQ to blow the 12-50 out of the water, which it just did not. Yes it was a tad sharper up the 40mm end, and a tad sharper at the edges wide open, but for at considerably more money, and I really don't thnik it can justify the cost. Better to put the money into a primes I think.

Anyone else had the same thoughts? Thanks.

I guess it depends on what floats your boat about the hobby.

At least you are in the position of shooting with the one of the best available lenses.  You needn't worry that your equipment is optically limiting what you can do.

In my case, I would probably also not be "blown away" by the difference.   I mainly use the 12-50 outdoors for daylight landscapes with little artistic interpretation. I'm not sure f/2.8 adds much in these circumstances. I do care about sharpness, but only of the final PP result at the targeted resolution. The whole colour/contrast subtlety just is not objectively visible to my eyes/brain.  I never shoot in a studio, I don't hang around until the light is right, I can't pick the weather, I never use a tripod. I suspect too many of these other factors degrade my images to justify the upgrade.

In my case the M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 III EZ might be more exciting because it might result in the camera becoming a truly take-everywhere camera.  If at some point I do decide to pursue greater sharpness, I think I might go with a few lighter-weight primes.

mchnz's gear list:mchnz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow