gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 710Gear list
Like?
This Time, Truly Not Recommended
In reply to paulski66, 5 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

I read that review yesterday.

I imagine the conclusion will go oever well with the lens' fans:

" It seems, though, that only Zeiss was serious about it and Nikon was joking all along, trying to sell you a rough piece of trash for a lot of money under a cover of a storied Nikon legacy."

I misreported the Cameralabs review of this len as "Not Recommended" when the actual conclusion was "not highly recommended."  After reading their actually conclusions, one might understand why I was in error.  That review found few characteristics of the 58mm (I think they did find it sharp in the center) praiseworthy, opining that it is not worth 4-5X the price of the earlier 50mm 1.4G.

Well, unlike the Cameralabs reviewers,  the lads in Poland definitely do not believe in sugarcoating their conclusions. It looks like they were quite disappointed with their copy.  I think that it's safe to say that Lenstip is not  giving even a qualified recommendation for this lens.

Yesterday, I found my 85mm 1.4G too long and my Sigma 35mm 1.4 too short for my purposes.  Here's hoping that the forthcoming Sigma 50mm 1.4 comes closer to expectations than does Nikon's 58mm 1.4G.

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow