Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zim4321
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
suggestions for family trip
8 months ago

We are planning a very important trip to Israel and Italy in April with my wife and 2 daughters.

I now have a D90 + 17-55.   I am on the edge of biting the bullet to upgrade to the D610 + 24-70 but would really like some input from this community, as over the years I have learned a lot here.  I am most interested in shooting 3 things....  family photo's, travel photo's (I really like to shoot markets) and my girls playing soccer and lacrosse.  I want the improved Hi ISO performance.  I really wanted better FPS for sports, but I am tired of waiting for the next Nikon camera.

A few of my other lenses are DX .  Tokina 12-24 F4 & Nikon 18-200VR (1st edition).  I also have a great copy of the 300 AF-S F4 and Nikon 1.4TC, and an old 50mm 1.8 (made in Japan)

I have an Nikon 18-35 3.5-4.5D from long ago when I was shooting with a N80.  Its in perfect condition, I am wondering, would this be good for this trip shooting daytime in the Old City with a D610?  It is pretty small and light.

2 months ago I borrowed a D7100 for a week vacation and was not thrilled. Of course it is easy to see how much of an upgrade it is, but compared to my D90 in good light I didn't see so much difference unless pixel peeping.  I did take some very nice photo's paired with my 17-55, and really was impressed with the Hi ISO performance, but I think making the jump to FF would allow me to take better family and travel photo's (due to DoF), and I would imagine the D610 will still be good enough for sports, and be a big step up from my D90.

The other thought is to buy the D7100 even though it doesn't really excite me, but then I would not have to buy the 24-70.

I feel that I NEED better Hi ISO performance to capture what I want on this trip, and I would sell it when Nikon finally releases a reasonably priced FF camera with at least 8 FPS and a larger buffer.  This is a very important trip for us, and will really present photo opportunity's which could be once in a lifetime.

So the big question...  will the D610 + 24-70 combo with its tighter DoF help me to take noticeably better photo's compared to the D710 + 17-55?

If Nikon had a D710 I would buy it in a second.

zim4321's gear list:zim4321's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow