Anyone annoyed that the Nikon D5100 camera will NOT autofocus with some Nikon lenses?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Questions thread
mrbr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,397Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone annoyed that the Nikon D5100 camera will NOT autofocus with some Nikon lenses?
In reply to ScottHullinger, 5 months ago

ScottHullinger wrote:

So ... which relatively new Nikon DX cameras of a similar megapixel rating actually ARE capable of autofucusing with those two lenses I mentioned up above? I've been seriously considering the Nikon D7000 camera. So are those two cameras similar in most ways, including image quality? With the exception that I HOPE the D7000 can actually do autofocus with those lenses I mentioned up above? Any help sure would be appreciated!

Hi,

Yes, the D7x00 camerabodies can autofocus lenses without built in auto focus motor !!

See http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/older-camera-database/nikon-d7000-specifications.html

and http://www.bythom.com/nikond5100review.htm

If you want to learn about the D5100 I can recommend Thom Hogans e-guides, see http://www.dslrbodies.com/books/bythom-complete-guides-/while-supplies-last.html

QUOTE from Thom Hogans D5100 review :

Image Quality
I'm simply going to point you at my D7000 review for most of what you want to know, because for the most part everything I wrote there is true of the D5100, as well. It uses the same sensor, after all. However, it doesn't quite always produce the same results. For JPEGs I can't find any measurable difference between the D5100 and D7000 that is outside of just the teeny small vagaries of testing methodologies. Put another way, I can shoot JPEG all day with both cameras and not find anything to distinguish one from the other that isn't caused by me. I was actually a little surprised at this, as the delay between the two cameras would have given Nikon a chance to tweak how the EXPEED2 ASIC was being called by the camera firmware, but I see no differences that indicate that they did so. Do note if you pick up a D5100 that Active D-Lighting is On by default, though. At the default settings, the images a D5100 and D7000 produce are slightly different. But that's due to a setting difference.

Raw (NEF) shooters need to be aware that there is also a difference between the D5100 and D7000 in the data that's produced. For some people it could be meaningful. The D7000 can record with lossless compression, the D5100 only records with visually lossless compression (Nikon's skip-tonal-values-in-the-highlights method). For most images that's not going to be a big deal. Many of us have been trying to show a realistic example of where visually lossless compression clearly produces a worse result and haven't really been able to do so. That's not to say that there isn't a difference and it's not meaningful. It's only to say that it's near impossible to show something (especially once we run it through JPEG to show it on the Web) that everyone would agree looks different that occurs on a regular basis. After all, the compression is visually lossless.

That said, if you're constantly tweaking highlight values, especially trying to pull out micro contrast in the highlights, the D5100 is going to be worse at that than the D7000. It's an extremely subtle thing visually, but when you start trying to move data that is posterized (missing values), there's a crudity to the results that you don't get when you have all the original data to work with.

Shadows are the same on both cameras shooting raw. That's a good thing, as the D7000 (and now the D5100) has almost the best shadow detail in 14-bit raw files of any of the Nikon DSLRs. Not best. Almost the best. That's still pretty darned good. And yes, the D5100 is surprisingly recording 14-bit raw, not 12-bit. That does help keep the shadow detail clean and useful.

UNQUOTE

Greetings,
Marc

mrbr's gear list:mrbr's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WhyNew
noNew
HowNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow