Has anybody ever had this happen? On ANY SLR?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?
Has anybody ever had this happen? On ANY SLR?
5 months ago

Last Thursday I was out in the snow and cold taking photos with my E-5.  It's just over 2 years old and has only 4,870 shutter cycles.  Everything was going well and as I prepared to make a shot, to my astonishment the viewfinder was black!  For a moment I thought I was looking at my EM-1 and had forgotten to turn it "ON".

My 1st thought was that the battery had gone dead as I hadn't used the camera for about three months and although I'd checked the battery indicator and it showed all green I didn't charge it.  So I turned the camera off and replaced the battery with my spare.  I turned the camera On and the viewfinder was still black.  I then pressed the shutter release and heard the shutter cycle, but the viewfinder remained blank the whole time.  So I turned the camera Off and went home and took the lens off and as I did so the reflex mirror fell out in my hand!

Of course I don't have the extended warranty (Should you need that with a "professional" grade camera?) and Oly wants 188.00 to repair it...in advance.  So Monday I will ship it to them.

I've been using SLR camera's for 53 years both professionally and for pleasure, shot hundreds of thousands of photos with SLRs (DSLRs) and have NEVER seen a mirror come out.  FYI it was glued in as evidenced by eight spots of adhesive on the under side of the mirror.  I wonder if this is common practice, or if it's unique to Oly?

I'm interested to hear your comments.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow