Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,991Gear list
Like?
DX camera for IR conversion
5 months ago

I'm thinking about buying a DX model for 720 ir conversion and am open to suggestions. Mainly I am looking for something for landscape use and plan to use live view for focusing. At first was thinking a focus motor would be nice but the more I think about it, it probably is not needed. I will probably be manually focusing and focus bracketing most of the time anyway. Likely will be mostly tripod type use.

I'm thinking maybe even a D3X00 or D5X00 would be a good candidate to keep the investment low and still end up with a fairly high rez sensor. From what I have read, live view is a good thing for IR shooting to avoid the focus errors PDAF has with IR shooting.

Anyway, just opening up some dialog from people who have done this to avoid making any mistakes. I used to shoot B&W IR film quite a bit and miss being able to do it. I shot Kodak HIE and Konica 750 IR and preferred the look from the Konica, it was IR without being too contrasty, which is why I am thinking a 720 pass filter would be a good option.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Nikon D3X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow