A Cold Weather Hike and what I learned.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,446Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting the Ice Caves
In reply to Bill Wallace, 7 months ago

Bill Wallace wrote:

I just had the same story and thoughts last week. I was in the Apostle Island in Northern Wisconsin to shoot the ice caves. Got up (I was alone btw) , got to the ice and ventured out. It was 0 to low single digits with and 15-20 mph wind. I had my whole backpack and tripod and realized immediately there would be no changing of anything. I don't normally use camera straps so I carried my pack for no good reason at all. My hike was about 2 miles or so out and then the same hike back....EM1 did fine as I expected it would, I've shot Oly cams in cold weather for years (I live in Minnesota).

I got a good chuckle out this story.....next time I go up (it's been 5 years since they last opened the ice for ventures to the caves) I'll take a much different approach. One thing I did see people using that I will consider since terrain is relatively flat, is pulling a light weight plastic sled to carry gear you may think you need. Your terrain will dictate whether this will work for you.

I have an ice cave gallery on my zenfolio site if you care to look. They were shot with the EM1 and the panny 12-35 f2.8.

I'm gonna head off and check out your work....

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace
http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/
"Mister I ain't a boy no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land"....

Interesting story.

Disclaimer: I have never been or seen ice caves.

You went out on the ice alone?

Isn't that taking unnecessary risk in that kind of environment?

Weren't you afraid of falling through the ice and dying?

Or suffering hypothermia and dying?

Issues with frostbite?

How did the battery hold up in the Oly EM1?

How did you change camera setting?

Thanks for sharing.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow