Oly 12-50 vs 12-40 - expecting too much?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly 12-50 vs 12-40 - expecting too much?
In reply to tamras29, 6 months ago

tamras29 wrote:

I do really like my 12-50 despite it's faults, so at an Olympus open day this morning, I was looking forward to taking the 12-40 f2.8 out for a spin on my EM5 with the offer of £100 off usual price this weekend only.

Just been going through the results, and apart from F2.8 all the way through which of course is a great advantage when necessary, and lovely pumpy manual focus ring, I really was it's expecting it's IQ to blow the 12-50 out of the water, which it just did not. Yes it was a tad sharper up the 40mm end, and a tad sharper at the edges wide open, but for at considerably more money, and I really don't thnik it can justify the cost. Better to put the money into a primes I think.

Anyone else had the same thoughts? Thanks.

No, I have absolutely different thoughts. The 12-50mm is optically the worst standard zoom lens I own and have used. Corner sharpness is simply not very good, contrast is rather low.

The 12-40mm beats the primes in its range (2.0/12mm, 1.8/17mm, 1.4/25mm) quite significantly.

So, the 12-40mm is worth the extra money, not only because of the much better build, but also because of IQ.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow