Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary Blake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,524
Like?
Third party BLN-1 issues
10 months ago

Have been reading some posts about higher capacity BLN-1 batteries particularly the DSTE 1450 mah variety.

Found this article:

http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/aftermarket-bln-1-teardown/

Don't really see how anyone can be seeing increased performance from these batteries. I have had four of them for over a year and as far as number of shots, haven't seen any increase over the original Olympus. (Fewer shots on average actually). Two of the plastic battery cases have swollen and will no longer fit in the EM5. The EM1 grip seems to have a little more room so may be able to use them again.

Also the batteries are losing capacity much quicker than the original oly's.

Now not so surprising after seeing the tear down results on the battery. (Cheap Chinese cells and 1020mah rating). I think these were advertised in several places as having high quality Japanese made cells which is why I bought them last year.

Still not bad value for the money, just need to be aware of what you are buying. At the time I bought them Olympus was having difficulty supplying batteries and the originals were not even available.

(I have tried Premium Tech claiming 1500mah and another brand claiming 1300mah. All the casings appear identical just rebranded stickers on them. Premium tech were the most disappointing as they were roughly double the cost of the others with no better performance)

Not to be completely negative about these batteries, I would still buy them again but would just go for the best price and disregard any power claims. At their price point they are still good value for the money, especially in the frozen north where I need about a dozen batteries to run two cameras + grips.

Gary

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow