Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Wiggle room
In reply to Midwest, 10 months ago

Midwest wrote:

The Pentax will give you lots of wiggle room - in the viewfinder. That IBIS stabilizes the sensor but leaves you and the camera's sensors (AF and metering and of course the viewfinder) with an un stabilized jittery image. The longer the tele the more the jitter. I like my viewfinder stabilized and for my AF and metering to have a stable image to work with. On a DS LR, that means optical stabilization. (Thom Hogan confirmed this to me.) IBIS sounds good but it makes very little sense on a DSLR. On a mirrorless, yes. But not on a DSLR.

This seems like a bunch of misinformation.  To start, any serious "jitter" from a long telephoto will not be fully corrected via either lens stabilization or sensor stabilization.  If it's that distracting through a Pentax viewfinder, you can be almost certain the captured image is going to look blurry on a Canon or Nikon -- OIS or not.  So, why not know the full extent of the jitter before you push the shutter button?

Second, there's no reason for IBIS to be more useful on mirrorless than DSLRs.  If that's wrong... why?  So that begs the question... why did Panasonic just put IBIS on their latest camera?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow