A Cold Weather Hike and what I learned.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Wallace
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?
Re: A Cold Weather Hike and what I learned.
In reply to PaulM2, 6 months ago

I just had the same story and thoughts last week. I was in the Apostle Island in Northern Wisconsin to shoot the ice caves. Got up (I was alone btw) , got to the ice and ventured out. It was 0 to low single digits with and 15-20 mph wind. I had my whole backpack and tripod and realized immediately there would be no changing of anything. I don't normally use camera straps so I carried my pack for no good reason at all. My hike was about 2 miles or so out and then the same hike back....EM1 did fine as I expected it would, I've shot Oly cams in cold weather for years (I live in Minnesota).

I got a good chuckle out this story.....next time I go up (it's been 5 years since they last opened the ice for ventures to the caves) I'll take a much different approach. One thing I did see people using that I will consider since terrain is relatively flat, is pulling a light weight plastic sled to carry gear you may think you need. Your terrain will dictate whether this will work for you.

I have an ice cave gallery on my zenfolio site if you care to look. They were shot with the EM1 and the panny 12-35 f2.8.

I'm gonna head off and check out your work....

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace
http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/
"Mister I ain't a boy no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land"....

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow