ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,088Gear list
Like?
DP3m for studio work?
7 months ago

HI there..

I've never posted in this forum before and I have never used a sigma camera but have recently been drawn to buy one.

I have my own little studio, I have enough space to shoot full length shots on my k5 at 50mm so I wouldn't find the focal length of the lens much of an issue as I could still do full length as well as head-shots and some product type images with it.

I mostly use my k5 with da* 50-135 f2.8 and use Lightroom to edit my raw's and some photoshop for more advanced retouching. From what I understand I couldn't use lightroom and have to use sigma's own software (slowing down workflow).
Would the dp3 work as a good addition or even as a sole studio camera or should I just upgrade my pentax kit to something like the k3 (24mp) and get more out of my current stuff.

Its had for be to deiced so  I have a few questions.

1) Is the extra IQ I would get using the sigma worth the slower overall camera experiences and workflow?

2) Could I use the 1/2000 flash sync to stop action (say water) using studio strobes with a long flash duration?

3) Are there any good convertors that could be use to get a wider and longer FoV without killing IQ?, I wouldn't mind eventually getting all three versions as the wider focal lengths would be good for enviromental shots where I really hate the max flash sync of my k5 (1/180).

Thanks for your time.

I've added a few images so people can see my work.

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Pentax K-5 Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow