Interesting read by Thom Hogan

Started Feb 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,664Gear list
Like?
Re: I also think Thom's analysis of APS-C is incorrect
In reply to Mike Fewster, Feb 15, 2014

Mike Fewster wrote:

There is much in Thom's analysis I agree with, however, I think he gets APS-C scene wrong....

It was the mirrorless cameras that showed up the flaw in APS-C engineering. The APS-C (and I include mft here) sensor could give the same IQ in a much smaller package when you had a lens mount designed for the sensor rather than cobbling an inappropriate ff mount to deliver to a small sensor.

Many of lenses Thom refers to are now moving into a sort of limbo land. FF mount with APS-C sized sensors will slowly be squeezed out between cameras that are designed with appropriate mounts and bodies for APS-C sensors and bodies much the same size but with ff image capability.

The problem with that analysis is that E-mount was designed to accommodate FF, as we now can clearly see. I think the big advantage to making compact lenses for the Nex has been the shorter registration distance.

Sure, FF lenses are a bit bigger, but getting past that mirror box meant that there was a limit to how much you could reduce the camera and lens sizes.

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow