Misinformation about m4/3

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,360
Like?
OK. It is settled then : only Medium Format classes from now on.
In reply to Sergey_Green, 7 months ago

Sergey_Green wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

If you can't demonstrate DOF changes on a M4/3s with a kit lens, you have a problem. IMO, you should be able to demonstrate that on most compacts with a reasonable zoom range.

Of course you can, but then you also have to explain what crop factor is, and why bother.

Bother because the different systems are there, and will be present in most classes (majority, minority, sure, but why disregard a minority? I bet you that in most beginners classes, the FF shooters would be a minority, in the presence of a majority of 1.6 and 1.5 crop factor APS systems; but we certainly would not want to disregard that FF minority.)

Perhaps I need to learn more about these photography courses. I'd expect a course to demonstrate the fundamentals of photography, effects of aperture, iso, shutter speed, etc and how they relate, as well as the artistic aspects.

Exactly!

All of that should be able to be taught across most camera formats.

All of it should be taught with the film SLR. But since those days are gone, there is still a reference format that is available (or at least should be) to all.

Why would all of that be taught with the film SLR?

For historic reasons?

Then why not teach with the daguerrotypie?

Why exclude medium format?  It was the "standard" long before 35mm.

35mm film has been a "default format for most people" in photography at some point, but it is not anymore and there is no need for nostalgia.

And when did FF become "the reference format"?

Only in recent years has FF become available on a wide scale, so most people with a photo education and experience in digital are more likely to have it on another format than FF.

Hey, come to think of Medium format : let's suggest that all students would bring a digital MF camera, so as to explain certain concepts even "easier" than with FF!!

I guess if the course is built around "how to take portraits", or something, using a standard array of settings, then I can understand sticking with a single format. Can't really see the point of that sort of training though.

There you go, and not the portrait only.

Of course, if the demonstrator doesn't understand crop factor, then all bets are off.

But that is beyond the point.

I think that exactly that was the original point of the thread : a µFT shooter being confronted with a so-called teacher who obviously did not have a clue about crop factor (not only FT but also APS-C) and who wanted to hide that cold fact behind a facade of "FF is the best teaching format" (so you should get it also as the best learning format).

I really think that there was the point.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow