Will the 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OIS be worth upgrading to?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bryguy
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Will the 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OIS be worth upgrading to?
10 months ago

Sorry if this topic was raised already, I didn't see it. If so, forgive me and please link. Newbie here.

Anyways, I just got the NX300 with the 18-55mm and will be getting my 30mm f/2 any day now. I was thinking of adding a wide angle 16mm pancake to my collection and then I saw the 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 Power Zoom ED OIS Lens on pre-order. Got me intrigued, especially for the price.

Given that I have the 18-55, should the 16-50 give me (in theory) enough improvement to justify that purchase? Does a stepping motor do anything for photos or is that a feature only appreciated in video? ANY other improvements I'm missing? I do plan on making videos so that feature along with a power zoom appeal to me. I just don't want to waste my limited budget if there's too much overlap in performance.

The 12-24mm was recommended for my wide angle needs, but it's a little too spendy for a single glass purchase. At first I was thinking a 10mm fisheye and a 50-200mm zoom would round out my initial arsenal. Then I saw this mysterious 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6.

Would the 16-50mm be so universal that it could come close to an all-in-one solution in lieu of purchasing a 16mm, 45mm, and basically shelve my kit lens?

I know patience will serve me better so I can see some reviews. I'm just contemplating if waiting is worth it because I'm still new to the nuances of technical specs and what potential this new lens may or may not have.

Thanks

bryguy's gear list:bryguy's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow