Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,825Gear list
Like?
Re: sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect
In reply to Rod McD, 10 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Ian,

I don't think the refrain that primes are always sharper than zooms is always true. Two notable examples : the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is sharper than Nikon's own primes within its zoom range and Fuji's 18-55/2.8-4 out-resolves their own 18mm prime. They are a minority of course, but they're there.

I'm strongly considering an A7r but am waiting for a readily available and convincing 21-24mm prime that is small light and sharp from corner to corner. I would prefer a small prime, but waited for the Zeiss zoom lens in the hope that that it would be a native wide angle that goes as wide as 24mm and that it would offer superlative performance. As it is, most reviewers of the FE24-70 say that it's very good indeed between 28-60, but that's not quite what I'm after.

I hear ya - that's where I'm at. Rumor has it that one of the next two lenses in the plan of record will be a wide zoom. Presumably a 16-35 type deal.

Personally I think that these small FF cameras hit the sweet spot for travel and landscape photography and that Sony should have a offered a wider than 35mm prime lens at launch or at least very early in the road map.

My sentiments exactly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow