70-200 F2.8 lens - Sigma, Sony or Tamron?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
70-200 F2.8 lens - Sigma, Sony or Tamron?
6 months ago

Hi everyone! I wonder if there are any fellow A-mount photographers who have already used both the Sony 70-200 mm F2.8 G (old version) and new Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 Di USD lenses and could give me some advice which one is better and why? Which one is sharper and is there a differences in focusing speed?

I'd also like to know if there is difference in focusing speed and accuracy between these lenses? My Sony 70--200 is not a slow performer in focusing with A99, but it could be also much speedier. So have you find the Ultra Sonic focusing of Tamron fast and reliable and how is this compared to Sony's SSM-focusing? I have even considered of buying the latest version of Sigma 70-200 mm F2.8, because it has the optical stabilization built in the lens and that would be usefull when shooting video. I just wonder how is the HSM-focusing compared to Sony's SSM-focusing? And how is the sharpness of Sigma 70-200 mm F2.8 OS compared to these other two (Sony G1, Tamron USM)?

Which one of these lenses is the top performer? The latest version of Sony 70-200 G2 is not really an option for me, because I'm not ready to pay that ridiciously high price for this kind of lens. I also realize that only the Sony lenses are supported when it comes to using the AF-D mode of A99, but I haven't really find AF-D focusing mode nothing special. In fact I think that the other focusing modes have given me at least similar or better results.

Thanks in advance for any usefull information regarding these lenses?

Here you can see some samples of the photos I've taken with my copy of Sony 70-200 G.

jonzalez's gear list:jonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A58 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +2 more
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow