Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644
Like?
A Cold Weather Hike and what I learned.
8 months ago

I live close to a very large NY State Park, Letchworth, commonly called the "Grand Canyon of the East". It is the gorge of the Genesee River and the park is about 17 miles long.

I have never visited this park in the Winter, so last Tuesday, 2 of my Sailing Buddies and I went over to the park to take some picture of the waterfalls covered in ICE. The temperature when we left my apartment was 11 degrees F or -26 C.

I learned that in extreme cold, you do not change lenses or other settings that require removing gloves. Also being bundled up like a little kid in a snow suit, severely restricts movement.

I had two PEN cameras and a bunch of lenses. The lenses and their case never made it out of the car. I had mounted the 17mm f/2.8 on my little E-PM1 and on the E-PL5, I had the Oly 40-150. My intent was to change to the 14-54 later on. This did not happen.

Now one of my buddies, Pete, elected to just shoot with his cell phone, my other friend, Dave used his favorite little pocket camera, a Oly c-7000z. I had two small cases and soon realized that I was the " big dummy" of the group of dummies taking pictures in 11 deg. weather.. The cases became so stiff with the cold they were difficult to open, changing anything was out of the question.

When you have the time, have a look at my pBase gallery at http://www.pbase.com/paulm2/letchwort_winter Here you will find our shots. The first three are of the same scene for comparison, Pete with the cell phone, Dave with c-7000 and my shot with the E-PM1/17mm. My shot was in RAW which I think makes a lot of difference, but the next time some one starts telling you that the cell phone camera produces just as good as your m43.  Pete has the latest and greatest Samsung.

All the pictures have been thru PSE11, my RAW shots were developed in "Sagelight" then thru PSE11 for anything I did not catch.

If I ever get the urge to do another cold hike it will ne with the E-PL5 with a pancake lens in my coat pocket.

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow