Interesting read by Thom Hogan

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,105Gear list
Like?
my suggestion of your basic error
In reply to Mike Fewster, 10 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

His logic is good, but is built on sand. He is still thinking of cameras the way we thought of them in the 60's. He wants a "system", just like we used to have when the technology advanced slowly nd most changes were happening in the film processing.

The technology is just changing too fast today. Two years ago, if I had wanted a full system, small format camera, mft would have been my format of choice. If I had done that, arrival of ff small bodied cameras would have me looking for a new system today. And so on. I simply cannot see a system any longer that meets my needs and I can only see the choices getting more complex. The answer now appears to be not to worry about a system, but to get different cameras for specific needs and just pick up the one that suits my needs for a particular shoot.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Lens technology does not change. It hasn't. This is why Sony has been able to come up with a new camera every 3 to 5 months and not nearly enough lenses for all the cameras. 7+ years after taking over the A-mount, they've finally come out with a 70-200/4. Finally.

A for your potential/hypothetical switch from M43 to a ff small bodied camera, here's a suggestion: Buy the camera/product that meets your needs. If/when it stops, then buy something else. You need not subscribe to the camera subscription model. And, I'll also say that as someone who has switched systems, the money spent on lenses – especially quality lenses – is seldom/never lost, while the money spent on cameras – again, Sony has a new one every 3 to 5 months – is seldom returned/recovered.

Lesson: Digital cameras are disposable as the technology evolves quickly. Lenses, flashes, teleconverters, etc. are not.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow