Misinformation about m4/3

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
good advice - similar experience here but more minor
In reply to Chris Noble, 9 months ago

I just signed up for a photo meetup group and the 'instructor' for the session is a portrait guru well known in the area.  But he had no idea a camera existed that had closest eye focusing as he was expressing his view that only a tripod could be used for thin dof portrait work where you want the focus to be done critically on the eyes or closest eye.

So, he was a bit behind on the tech stuff, but that is a pretty unique feature in the world of cameras.

On the other hand, the way he sees and uses light for portraits was very useful information for me.

So if the guy has some ignorance about crop factors and angle of view yet can offer some great insights to better picture taking then stick with it.

On the other hand, that's a very basic type of lack of knowledge I would not expect from someone charging for a course.  My instructor's 'lack of knowledge' was about a little known feature.  His missing knowledge about effective DOF, angle of view, and his dismissal of m4/3 in general might be the tip of the iceberg in his cluelessness.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow