G1X MII or RX100II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499Gear list
Like?
If you use your cam as your full time videocam like I do, >> RX100 II...
In reply to phazelag, 7 months ago

I have a 5d, but use the RX100 II as my vacation cam and my full time video cam... it takes amazing video with little to no moire.... All the larger chip DSlRs and mirrorless I tried, even the ones with 60p, had moire issues when panning....

The reason I was told is that NEX and DSLR cameras don't scale down a full size image to generate a frame of video, but instead they skip lines. So an NEX-6 with its 16MP sensor is probably only reading every 3rd line to generate 1080p video, and this results in the aliasing of the lines that are close to horizontal in the image, which in turn causes the moire pattern.

In other words, The APS-C sized sensor cannot be read fast enough to read all lines @ 60p. So they cheat by line skipping. FF is even worse.

Here is an example - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3525116

++++++

Now, I'm not sure how the G1X II will fare with moire, but it's 30p and with my fast moving kids, that's a deal breaker as the G1x II would have to be my full time video cam. From everything I have seen and tried, 30p with fast motion is pretty noticable compared to 60p.

It's a shame as I was really looking forward to switching... I'd *much* rather have 24mm on the long end, and having 120mm with f/3.9 on 1.9x crop!...

But the RX100 video is excellent indoors at f/1.8 @28mm.. with very little noise... and it does Ok outdoors as well at 100mm f/4.9.

+++++++

If I was getting a camera and didn't care about video, I'd switch to the G1X II in a heartbeat.

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow